Re: Metal plants...

From: Sergi Díaz <sergio.diaz_at_upcnet.es>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:52:27 +0200

> Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 16:47:39 +0200
> From: Master Gollum <MasterGollum_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Metal plants...
>
> Ok, the rule books say about plants with leaves/thorn/bark (in Apple
> Lane appear a silver bush), but I cann't imagine a tree with
> leaves-swords! If those plants exist, I suppose its are very extrange
> and difficult grow. Can any gardener cultivate its? How many magic
> resource need those plants? Is profitable cultivate its for a little
> forest? Can any Aldryami comunity equip their warriors?

Well, I suppose little communities won't be able to equip every warrior with a sword, but they can use bows and spears (easier to grow). But little human communities will have the same problem... About sword-trees, surely blacksmiths know how to grow them.

> I agreed with Andrew, forge metals with fire is too near mostali
> society for uses it aldryami. But the elves profession table of RQ3
> show the blacksmith. One of each 400 elves is a blacksmith!

Elves blacksmiths especialize in growing sword-trees, spear-trees, armor-trees, and so on. Their profession surely seems more than of a gardener than a human o dwarf blacksmith. Raw material is nearly the same than processed material.

> Moreover, the profession table suggest a specialized society. I
> believe that a specialized society need live centralized. For example,
> the Errinou Jungle is a elven empire! They fit out ships! An activity
> as these need some infrastructure.
> Every society tend to centralize for their comodity. Their members can
> share their work easily.

IMG every elf in the forest knows exactly what he/she must do through their elf sense. They don't need be as centralized as humans. Of course a big forest needs some centralization (what's the council work?), but not so much.

> I believe that in standar forest don't exist a real specialization of
> work. Everybody are warrior/gardener.
> I also imagine Aldryami as walking vegetables. If they need make
> buildings, they don't build, grow their living/store/holy/etc
> structures as living vegetable houses.

Just like me.

> >So I don't think that shelter is a concern for the Aldryami.
>
> Poisonthorn Elves live in Bloodstone Fort. For brown elves the weather
> isn't the problem, in forest without green elves that protect your
> brothers, they can need some protection for survival their
> hibernation.

Animals are part of the forest too. And spirits, dryads, etc...

> Also, if elves have possessions, where store those things?

The forest can be a difficult place to search for something, don't you think? ;-)

> Master Gollum

Sergi Díaz