Re: Omniplants

From: Matthew Thale <mattt_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:22:50 -0700

Master Gollum asks:
>Why all tools used by aldryanis have to have vegetal grown origen? They
>don't know as work primary materials? If an elf need a canoa, he must go
>to the Gardener for a canoe-plant seed and cultivate it (with possible
>use of runic magic and/or delay of several seasons)? I believe he cut
>the bark of his brother tree with "harvesting" and build his canoe with
>this.

Well, I suppose that all Aldryami don't have to use tools of a vegetable origin, but I suspect that most would. It is a matter of growing versus making. Aldryami represent the growing aspect of Glorantha versus the making aspect represented by the Mostali. If you get growers making, then things get all screwed up. Next thing you know you'll have the Mostali Green Thumb Heresy planting their gardens.

Additionally, the organic origin of Aldryami tools and equipment helps break the Tolkien Elf stereotype that is held by so many fantasy game players.

I suspect that groups of Aldryami that have become separated from their forest, and are thus unable to access many of resources normally available to them, probably do make their own tools/equipment.

And on a final note, in your Glorantha, you can have your Aldryami do anything you please. Because in your Glorantha, nobody can make you do anything that you don't want to.

Free Winds,
- -Matt Thale