devotion

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:07:18 +0300

:> A hypocrite, IMO, is someone who uses a god as a 'slot machine'.
:> Plug in the
:> worship, pull out the abilities.

: I just don't see Gloranthan Theistic magic working like this. Afinities
: and feats aren't like magic spells - you don't pay your worship and get
: your affinity. This is of course one way of looking at it but it's more
: accurate to say that when using an affinity, you're directly channeling
: the power of your god which you learn how to do in worship. This ability
: to 'channel' implies a very real and very personal link - this is why
: Devotees spend their time behaving like the object of their devotion,
: they need to be that much closer in order to do more of the good work -
: as a result of this closer link, they get access to more specific modes
: of super-natural behaviour. In effect a devotees every action becomes a
: piece of worship.

: To put it in D&D terms, You don't simply use your Turn Undead spell you
: direcly call upon Humakt to work through you and rid the mortal plane of
: these abominations which are the antethesis of everything you _believe_
: in.

Indeed, this is how I've GM:ed it. In my game I don't give character sheets to the players, so they have no direct knowledge of how well they are in divine favor. I've made sure nobody takes divine/hero Feats as granted or routine.
  This among other things seems to keep the player characters trying to be like their hero / god. I suppose I have good players too.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.

PS. Sorry for the long quoute. Couldn't figure out what to cut.