Humakti questions

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

James Turner :

>If you are an agent of death and truth where does the honour come into it?
>Are there any Humakti myths showing his honour?

For Orlanthi, honour is very closely associated with responsibility. Humakti accept full personal responsibility for their acts, as does their god. Humakt went so far as to sever all ties of kinship with his family in order that he alone would be responsible for his acts. I do not agree with some other posters that he severed his kinship ties so that he would not be blamed for Oralnth's slaying of Yelm, though this may be a common belief even among Gloranthans.

>If a humakti becomes a stone cold killer is he just a psycho or does he
>stray towards chaos (like Urox to Urain)?

Every mortal thing dies, so whether they die sooner or later is just a matter of timing. Even killing the whole world, while certainly not nice, would not necesserily be a chaotic act. Orlanth came within spitting distance of this and is not considered chaotic. The dead still exist, whereas there is no afterlife for things annihilated by chaos. Having said that, someone obsessed with killing above all else might be tempted to use chaotic powers to enhance his ability to kill.

Simon Hibbs