Re: Hero Wars questions

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:22:29 -0700

Robert Vesterman asked (of Hero Wars)

> What happened to Urox? Elmal? Eurmal?

Why should they be in Hero Wars, the all-encompassing rulebook? There are already too many deities listed, IMO. If they are important Heortling deities, they will be in the Heortling supplement.

> Why are seven major aspects of Ernalda listed, but only three are described?

Ditto.

> Wealth/Pricing/Buying Stuff - What? Why on earth was this done?

So that Narrator and players don't have to worry about niggling details. A hero who's supporting a dozen followers and who's supposed to be running around saving the world shouldn't have to worry about his bank account.

> Why are some affinities/secrets/whatever under the various gods'
> descriptions listed in boldface, and others not?

I assume this is merely an inconsistency of typography. I don't think those secrets are more or less great than the others.

> You mean to tell me that "foreign languages" is a single skill? As
> opposed to, say, "French" or "Korean"?

Yes, if the player has chosen to take it (and the Narrator to allow it). Of course, it's such a broadly defined ability that it will always be subject to large improvisational modifiers.

> Why not, say, "Kallai can kill things", leading to
> a "kill" skill of 13, obviating the need for "sword" or "spear" or whatever;
> he just can kill, regardless of whether he has a particular implement handy
> or not?

Feel free. This would be written on his character sheet as "Close Combat 13" and since it's a broad skill, would always be subject to improvisational modifiers.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein