Newsflash: Buserian protests block Glamour

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:27:54 -0800

> Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:25:12 +0100
> From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: A dissatistied customer....
>
> <snip>
>

> >Wealth/Pricing/Buying Stuff - What? Why on earth was this done? I would have
> >to see this in action, I guess, but it seems to be a purposeless
> >complification of the standard, easily understandable, and
> >not-difficult-to-keep-track-of "I have x pennies, this thing costs y
> >pennies" system. What advantage does this system have, besides being in
> >line with the omnipresent theme of vagueness? I just don't get this whole
> >section.
>
> Well, I think the idea was to get rid of the necessity to keep track of
> every penny. Some people feel that this is too much like being an
> accountant to have any place in a Fun activity.

The Daily Illuminant Newsenlightenment

Cart traffic today in Glamour was blocked by crowds of Buserian devotees protesting changes in the universe that have made their accounting profession obselete.

"We're losing our potential livelihood" said Janus Avaricus, a initiate of Buserian. "Who's going to count up the haul these adventurers take home after killing the bad guys? And what about taxes, bribes, to the Lunar officials?"

Chalana Arroy priestesses also noted their concern. "It used to be that adventurers would try to get every single measly copper from an expedition. We used to do a grand business in cleaning disease-ridden treasure from Broo Lairs for adventurers. But now? They'll just leave heaps of gold ingots lying there, 'cos they don't want to spend the hero points."

Irrippi Ontor and Lhankor Mhy sages did not join the protest. "We thought the vagueness of the rules would completely eliminate rules lawyers, so we were worried" said one. "But now we see that defining theistic feats, alone, should keep us in business haggling over how much the augment should be, and no you can't use sunset leap that way, for the foreseeable future."

Shares of banks also dropped temporarilyon the Glamour stock exchange, over concerns over the potential declining exchange rate of the Lunar. This was triggered by concerns over potential balance-of-payment problems for the Treasury because of adventurers not collecting treasure, and hence, not being taxed. However, shares rebounded when the Glorious Emperor fed the head of the Lunar Treasury to the Crimson Bat.