Wealth and More Orthopraxy

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:46:00 -0800

> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
> Subject: Re: wealth
>
> Thomas McVey
>
> > They'll just leave
> > heaps of gold ingots lying there, 'cos they don't want to spend the
> > hero points.
>
> One of the reasons uncemented goodies don't stay unless you spend
> hero points is that most people are part of communities of some sort.

Yup, I understand that.

But don't you think all those NPCs are going to be puzzled when they see PC behaviour totally change? :)

"That Humakti over there, tight as a Durulz's arse he was, hoggin all his loot for training, until a month ago.
Now he's couldn't care less what he spends".

> From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_uk.airsysatm.thomson-csf.com>
> Subject: Re: Orthopraxy, a small detail
>
> From: "Thomas McVey" <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
>
> > This is in the same way as a politician might believe that the "other side" might triumph
> > in the next election or in the long-term. Or in the same way as some Soviet apparatchiks
> > (or even some western politicians) doubted the long-term viability of their own side
> > during the Cold War. Or a political activist who believed sincerely in an idea in their
> > youth, but now is not so sure the other side isn't right. Similarly, you could have a
> > Gloranthan who secretly doubts that their god is more right than another god. Or was
> > enthusiastic about killing chaos in their youth, but now is more circumpsect (like Oddi
> > the Keen).
>
> While I don't dispute that it could be the case and sometimes interesting as a character, as
> far as I know, Oddi has been illuminated which is a near-magical effect allowing to use his
> personal system of values while still presenting whatever external front he chooses.
>
> So I don't think he's a good example for your theme unless it is to prove that, unless you
> become illuminated, you cannot be an "hypocrite".

Yup, as it turned out both the examples I used were (probably) illuminants. But I don't think that the analogy just has to hold for just those blessed by Rashorana's great insight. I think that you could have that doubt over whether your God's way is the "right way", without being illuminated. Particularly for Lhankor Mhy, Issarians, and Chalana Arroy cultists, who are going to encounter more people from different walks of life than most lightbringer worshippers, and whose lunar counterparts are less diametrically opposed than, frex, Urox and Danfive.

(Humakti meet lots of interesting people to - but mostly kill them shortly afterwards :)).

Even more likely that this kind of angst is more prevalent post-lifting of the Syndic's Ban, and after the Lunar occupation of Dragon Pass and Prax, and the population movements that entails.

But I'd say you could draw out this Cold-War analogy further. Including the "is it OK to use nasty methods in a good cause".

Here's a quick scenario outline:
The local Lunar fort is being a major thorn in your side. Several of the best thanes in your clan were executed after getting into a brawl in a local tavern with Lunar hoplites. You want revenge, but the Lunar fort is too strong for you to take.

You are approached by a mercenary working for the Lunars in the fort. He offers you a chance of revenge. Orders have come in for most of the Lunar forces to go on remote patrols, leaving a skeleton force in the fort. For a payment he "and his associates" will turn on the remaining forces. They'll use some "weird magics", so they want you to stay clear during the operation, plus they want the pick of the loot from the fort. They then will send you a signal that the fort is taken, they'll disappear with their loot, your clan's forces can march in, and then "you can easily hold the fort from the returning Lunars". Their benefit is that they can get well away from the area while the Lunars are left trying to retake the fort from you.

Sounds like a good plan, and your chief is keen on the idea. After agreeing to the plan and making payment, the PCs (or an off-stage group of hunters) spy a broo and a man talking together. When spied, the man and broo flee in different directions. If caught, the man insists he was trying to convince the broo not to kill him. If they catch the broo and kill it, the broo will have a pouch. If they open the pouch (risking disease) they find a letter of correspondance between a broo troop and the (ogre) infiltrators at the Lunar fort.

The ogres and the broos will slay the skeleton force of lunars at the stead (the orders for the expeditionary patrols are forged). They pull out of the fort, you move in, there's a long fight between you and the returning Lunars to retake the fort. The ogres and broos intend to kill the survivors, and then, with most of the local fighter dead or wounded, prey on the surrounding clans at their leisure.

In the letter: "There'll be rutting stock for you, and plenty of carrion for us. Plus, if we get the windheads and the moonies at each others throats, we can prey on their steads all the easier".

So, what do the PCs do? Do they let the Lunars know of the danger they're in, or do they let the chaotics kill them? Nice dilemma for the Uroxi in the clan.

(IHMO, the Hero Wars are a metaphor for the Cold War anyway. Red Empire? Sickle Emblem? Nasty dark secrets behind a benign face? And we find out the whole thing collapses in the early '90s?)

> [...]
> > at a single rating, where those things aren't individually very
> > vital, narratively speaking.
>
> I play down languages. All PCs can communicate with each other. Other
> than that, it is kinda boolean, you speak it or you don't. If I want a
> NPC to talk to the PCs, the NPC knows tradetalk. While I may be guilty
> of simplification, I once ran a non-Glorantha game (using RoleMaster no
> less) where I had everyone speaking slightly different dialects and
> "similar skills". I still wake up with nightmares from that. Never
> again will I go down that path. Maybe I've overcorrected, but lets call
> it my MGF and leave it at that.
>
> > I _still_ hate Digests, mind you...
>
> Does Issaries have plans to get a real machine that can serve the GD via
> NNTP? I'd imagine that this is an old question, but life would be
> easier for me if it were done that way.
>
> - --
> Douglas Seay Marconi Communications - RTP, NC, USA
> douglas.seay_at_marconi.com iFLX development
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:04:49 -0500
> From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Re: the orthopraxy thing
>
> > From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> > Subject: Re: The orthopraxy thing
> >
> > Andrew Larsen:

> >> Yes, but the Brithini are much closer to an orthodoxy system, having
> >> been modelled essentially on the medieval Catholic church.
> >
> > I can only assume you're thinking of the Rokari, here, or the liturgical,
> > deist West in general. The Brithini are immortal, atheistic cyphers,
> > who have no (known, at least) credo, and whose 'philosophy of life'
> > one might regard as being 'orthopractic', in the extreme...
>
> A complete brain fart. For some reason, I was thinking Malkioni, not
> Brithini. Not the same thing by a long stretch.
>
> >> The whole reason that I brought up this point in the first place was to
> >> demonstrate that there is a completely different way to think about Orlanthi
> >> religion than by focusing on the question of belief, which is certainly far
> >> less important than practice.
> >
> > For a sufficiently broad definition of 'practice', and a sufficiently
> > narrow one of 'belief', at least. Certainly the Orlanthi have nothing
> > one would really characterise as a 'dogma', 'doctrine', or 'credo'.
> > Not as distinct from social norms. custom, and law, at least.
> > However, you seem to be taking the large area in between the two, to do
> > with non-ritual behaviour, morals, ideals, etc, etc, and either
> > ignoring it, or redesignating it as 'orthopraxis', which seems to
> > me to at least be counter-intuitive.
>
> It's a question of what's the most important thing in a religion--what
> you think or what you do. For an orthodox religion, the key is proper
> belief. There may well be important rituals to observe, but the over-riding
> issue is what you think. For an orthopraxis religion, the key is proper
> ritual. There may well be important ideas, such as virtues, but the

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #703