Re: Why cats?

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:08:36 -0700

Mark Galeotti wrote

> As more of a dog-person myself, I've been wondering what it
> is about Orlanthi and cats. When was the last time you
> came across a cat who appreciated wind, storm and rain? Is
> it just mythic coincidence that Yinkin links into the
> Orlanthi pantheon? Biological coincidence that large cats
> are a primary predator in Sartar and thus useful
> allies/vessels? Or primal coincidence - do I remember
> hearing that Greg is more keen on cats and dogs?

IMO, the dog-hating is a Heortling thing. Other Orlanthi, such as the Ralians, raise dogs (especially wolfhounds to defend against the hated Telmori).

And a lot of this is probably a consequence of the fact that Harmast Barefoot (who got to define many of the "official" myths) was of the Alynx clan...

Of course, there are plenty of other cultures who like dogs. The Balazarings and the Sairdites come instantly to mind. And Praxians keep dogs.

Unfortunately, the Sairdites and the Praxians are both on the Heortling borders. Coincidence?

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein