Wolf Pirates

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:45:57 +1200

Jerome Blondel:

>What's the relation (if there is any) between wolf-pirates
>and wolves (ie between Ygg and Telmor?)? I think
>wolfs are mentionned in King of Sartar. Do the wolf-pirates
>have wolf familiars?

The Wolf Pirates are not Telmori. Their founder, Orstando Black-wolf (ToTRM#10), had his soul bound by a sorceror into his ship's figurehead (which was that of a wolf and had a shaggy skin mounted on it) so that he could stand watch, offer advice and help hold the ship together. This practice was adopted by many other captains and so many ships are now blessed this way.

The Wolf Pirates are from Ygg's Isles and have been storm worshippers since the Storm Age (Ygg is the Son of Valind, who is the Son of Vadrus Umathsson). Hsunchen have a different origin myth.

That they are not all wolves can be seen in the Glorantha Introduction p34 where Brond the Carver carves a ship with a figurehead of a serpent, which he uses to sink the Howling Fleet of the God Learners. This may be the same ship as the Ice Serpent that Harrek now sails in.