The Re-Written History of the Maboder???

From: Pok Iartes <pokiartes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 01:35:15 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy All-
I just got my "Glorantha:Introduction to the Hero Wars" the other day as a gift for my birthday [Thanks Jason]. As I was reading through it, I was amazed to see that in Chapter 11 - Maniria, the Maboder tribe had gotten a re-written history.

G:IttHWp g.155:
"Many still remember with a shudder the fate of the
Maboder tribe. They rose in rebellion [against the Lunar occupation], but in retaliation most of the tribe was killed, enslaved or forced to flee to Prax. Those clans that remained were forcibly incorporated into the Lunar Way. Lunar settlers from Tarsh and Aggar took their vacant lands."

Now I have recently been running a game at the time of the Maboder/Telmori problems during 1606-1608, using the information in KoS concerning the Maboder, their neighbors and Jomes 'Wulf' Hrostelas' Lunar response as a backdrop for some Lunar Army Ocuupation troop PCs. The KoS version goes like this-

Kos pg 143:
"As long as they [the Telmori] remained skirmishing
this way no one cared except the victims. But after the Telmori annihilated the core of the Maboder tirbe in 1607 the situation changed. The Maboder had been good Lunar allies, even refusing to fight for Boldhome during the last invasion. Their ghosts appealed for justice in a moving scene durin the Lunar holy rites. The Lunar army moved from its city bases to avenge them."

Doesn't sound like the Maboder rose to rebellion against the Lunar Occupation. Sounds like they were annihilated by vengeful Telmori for suckin' up to the Lunars and not supportin' Sartar's heir against the Lunar Invasion in 1602.

So my questions are these:
Was this a simple proof-reading error (instead meaning to note the Dundealos tribe who rose against the Lunars in 1618 after the Lunar Taxman took the King's daughter against her will)?
Is this a re-write? If so, why is it necessary and can we expect more of the minutia that makes up Pre-HeroWars [TM] Glorantha to be nibbled away in future Hero Wars products?

As the Maboder, the Telmori and Jomes Wulf have been debated on the list in the past with results of relative acceptance and extrapolation from the KoS source-material, it strikes me as being something that would also rise in the mind of those who run games in Dragon Pass during the Lunar Occupation, as well as those whose campaigns involves the Jonstown area.

The general dislike the Sartar-righteous Telmori have traditionally had for the Lunar-lovin' Maboder and the lack of support the Maboder get from their opprutunistic neigbors may be important to campaigns affected by that event back in 1607. (The Gwandor Clan and the Culbrea Tribe, as well as, the Torkani Tribe and, well, the surviving Telmori Packs) To remember the Maboder as rebels changes the whole history of northern Sartar (as it's presented in KoS) for the decade and a half prior to the HW story-arc present of G:IttHW (the campaign start time for the HW arc is still 1621, just like in Avalon Hill's RQ products a decade ago- When are we gonna get this Hero Wars thing goin' full bore?).

Peter, I believe you worked on this product... Do you have any insight?

Dana Winston
pokiartes_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/