Re: Giant magic (743-746)

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:21:28 +0100

Don't get upset by the cuts, I try to follow rule #3.

>Chris Lemens (743)
>If # 5 is dragons, # 6 could be giants.

>Trotsky (744)
>Giants don't generally use magic, and when they do it doesn't appear to
>be anything unique to them, but just whatever they've been able to pick up.
>Simply being a true giant could be argued to be some sort of magic given
>that giants seem to predate even the Green Age.
>But it isn't the sort of magic you can use in the way that you do with
>draconic magic or animism, say - it doesn't seem to me to be anything like
>a 'sixth type of magic' in rules terms.

>Alex (745)
>draconic magic is pretty much just 'being a dragon' (What makes it flashier
>is the fact that it's practised by those who aren't outwardly draconic)

>Andrew (745)
>Exception: the Cradles.

>Trotsky on Alex (746)
>No; being a dragon is the means of acquiring it, but it can be used
>to do other sorts of magical things that you can do with theist magic
>etc. Giants, OTOH, can't do any of these sorts of things
>So I think there's a distinct difference between draconic magic (and all
>other known magics) and'giant magic' in so far as such a thing exists.
>Certainly, AR has no rules of giant magic
>Nobody commented on this lack during the editorial process
>I have no reason to suppose it's false

>Trotsky on Andrews (746)
>It isn't necessarily spell casting but either a magical Construct Cradle skill
>and/or an ability to bargain with powerful otherworld entities

>Loren Miller (747)
>I would nominate Giant as the opposite of Dragon, as the myths
>for a war of opposition between the Giants and the Dragons
>are pretty well established.

Humans don't see the Giants do much (Gonn Orta can turn any mystic green of envy with his "Wait motionless" 10W4). It doesn't means they don't or can't do anything. Examples : the Cradles, Pavis walls.

Unlike the Dragonewts/Dragons, no humans follow they way of life/philosophy. It doesn't means they don't have one but it assures it is not understood. This neither means there is no Giant magical viewpoint of the world. Again think of their way of birth : floating cradles down Magasta's Pool. It makes Newts look normal !

There is no need of rules for Giant magic. Anyway a giant can always use something like "Big 12W3" against anything a Hero will put up.

Just an odd thought. Could there be an analogy between the giants you can meet and the True Giants (montains) OOH and Dragonewts and True Dragons OTOH ?

Hervé