Sorcery / Mysticism

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:21:43 -0400 (EDT)

Julian Lord beats me to publication, so i have to rewrite my post :

>>Loren Miller :
>>
>> Mysticism isn't as clear to me, but
>> if it's modeled on earth mysticism then the idea is for the individual to
>> perfect itself and commune with Divine nature, and finally the earthly
>> illusions will melt away like mist and the individual will find theirself as
>> one of many Divine Beings.
>
>Pure sorcery posits no such Divine Essence, and in pure mysticism, well, that's a
>bit of a toughie ; but it seems that all Entity and Existence (whether Divine,
>immanent, transcendent or otherwise) is part of the Illusion of the World and
>should ideally be un-realised/refuted/transcended.

Indeed, even relal world mystics believe that gods as well as mortals are not necesserily transcended beings. In fact some gods are actively opposed and inimical to transcendence.

My own theory on Solace goes like this -

In the Olden Days of the Kingdom of Logic, the Logical Laws were completely known to us and we could follow them perfectly. Because we lived in a perfect world, and interacted with it in a perfect way, we benefited from eternal life and bliss. Then the world became imperfect, and many of the logical laws were forgotten or missunderstood so that now we do not know what they mean for sure.

I think that most Malkioni believe that Solace is a perfect material world, kept apart from the corrupt world around them in order to preserve it's purity. This is why non-Malkioni cannot interact with it in any way, if they could then they would be able to corrupt it (and surely would). True believers who ascend to Solace are shriven of their imperfections and enter Solace.

I imagine that most Malkioni believe something similar to this.

This could lead to interesting Angelology debates. After all, if Angels are made of matter and live in Solace, then when they come to earth their material forms might become corrupt. What happens then? Why, they become Fallen Angels of course!

Simon Hibbs