Malkionism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:35:02 PDT

Steve Lieb:

>[reply] And, in point of fact, the GL's WERE sorcerers, although by the end
>(say, post RTR crusade after they discovered/were tainted by the Arkati
>heresies) they were dabbling in extensions of sorcery that were (in
>retrospect, anyway) clearly anathema to the mainstream tenets of Malkionism
>- - dabbling with demons, etc.

I think that these tenets are largely a product of hindsight (the God Learners did this and came to a bad end - therefore it's wrong). FWIW dabbling with demons does take place in Fronela (cf the piccie of the Krjalk being summoned by the Wizard in GoG with the detail that they infested the borders of the Ban).

>The [Malkioni] society started as the Brithini,
>which suffered a major schism when their founder (Malkion) changed his mind
>and left with a goodly chunk of residents.

The notion that Malkion changed his mind and left is really a Zzaburi slur IMO. The Malkioni have been on the Western Coast of Genertela since the beginning of their recorded mythology and there were differences even then.

>[Interesting question for anyone: what was the % of the extant >inhabitants
>of Logic that left? I'd take a wild guess at more than half but I don't
>know at all...].

Very few IMO. Most of the population of Loskalm, erstwhile Seshnela and perhaps Slontos can claim to have lived there since the Golden Age (whereas Zzabur's betrayal of Malkion was a Darkness event). Much of the population of the Land of Logic was killed and the land itself sunk during the Great Darkness.