Re: Malkionism

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 11 13:47:57 2000

Steve Lieb:
>>The [Malkioni] society started as the Brithini,
>>which suffered a major schism when their founder (Malkion) changed his
>>mind and left with a goodly chunk of residents.

Peter:
>The notion that Malkion changed his mind and left is really
>a Zzaburi slur IMO.

I agree. The Brithini refused to follow through his later actions, though, and Malkion's leaving might be seen in that light.

>The Malkioni have been on the Western
>Coast of Genertela since the beginning of their recorded
>mythology and there were differences even then.

True. It was Froalar who took his followers of Brithos some time during the Ice Age and founded one of the city-states which became the Kingdom of Seshnela. He happened to settle a region of the western coast of Genertela which was free of (recognisable) Logician descendants, but riddled with Pendali lion-worshippers.

I don't think Arolanit had any significant Malkioni population before that time, either.

Steve:
>>[Interesting question for anyone: what was the % of the extant
>>half but I don't know at all...].

Extant when?

Peter:
>Very few IMO. Most of the population of Loskalm, erstwhile
>Seshnela and perhaps Slontos can claim to have lived there
>since the Golden Age (whereas Zzabur's betrayal of Malkion
>was a Darkness event).

I'd include Ralios as well. The Estali earth cult (and society) and the Dawn Age Seshnegi "cult" of Likita are too similar (and too different from anything Heortling/Vingkotling or Pelorian).

The Logicians/Brithini had penetrated deeply up the Janube and apparently had also been dropped by the Waertagi along their various Sog Cities in the south. Jrustela had been part of the ancient lands of Logic, but seems to have been depopulated as a result of the Brithini-Vadeli wars. (The Awesome Bridge on the troll migration map - the best published God Learner map - sits roughly at the northern end of Jrustela.)

The early peoples myths have the natives of Ralios and Fronela as Logician-descended peoples. Later these peoples get lost, and when the lands were contacted once again, there were lots of civilized hsunchen peoples there, no longer recognisable as Logicians despite them being Wareran humans.

If I recall the inofficial mythology map session with Greg of last year's Tentacles correctly, Greg mentioned that the spread of Hsunchen animism may have been similar to the distribution of the idea of the plow, without the need of actual migration of a plow people.

The Hsunchen migration might be seen as the migration of the beasts and spirits alone. Whether they adopted other, resident humans I don't know for certain, but Ralios had been part of the Logician-inhabited section of the world (Kachasti?) and turned out to be inhabited by Hsunchen. Of course the Logicians might have died out entirely and the Hsunchen just assumed their form. The other explanation, that they became Hsunchen, seems easier to follow...

>Much of the population of the Land
>of Logic was killed and the land itself sunk during the Great
>Darkness.

Others may have fled (and abandoned Malkioni ways) then. The Waertagi certainly left - their lands were among the first to be covered by the Glacier.

Yet others had been killed in intra-Logician warfare.