Re: Hero Wars

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:09:09 -0700

Eric Rowe replied to me

> >the biggest presentation problem (the small size of the books).
>
>While this may be a problem for the core market who just are used to larger
>game books, it is very restrictive for every selling more and elsewhere. It
>also doesn't really affect sales in a negative way as some of the best
>sellers today are the smaller format books. They are also much less
>expensive to produce than traditional game books. Same content $5-15 more
>at least. For game store sales the boxed set addresses the issue of
>presentation. Honest, we talked to lots of retailers first about what they
>wanted.

Yes, there are definitely reasons to use the small book size. I'm not arguing whether or not it was the right decision.

My point was that it is in fact a presentation issue -- it's more difficult to actually use a book that size for game rules -- lots more page flipping than in a larger book (unlike a book of fiction this matters since you're not just reading linearly). It's also more difficult to do layout of charts etc. You'll note that most technical books are slightly larger than the Hero Wars line of books so that they can more clearly present their material.

Putting the books in a box is not a presentation issue, it's a marketing issue.

Nick Eden

> >Hero Wars
> >was shot to film, not printed digitally; film needs to be made and
> >proofed -- this takes time as well as money).
>
>Jeez, you mean it was proof read?

That's not what I said -- it was *proofed*. And it was, which is why there are no pages upside down in the printed books (the printer *did* get this wrong and it had to be sent back -- this delay contributed to the various problems).

> >www.glorantha.com is up and running on its new host...
>
>Does this mean that they're accepting emails yet? It's been a long
>time looking at these 'You will be able to email us one day, but not
>yet' yellow flashes.

Again, I was just referring to the web site. Web sites aren't e-mail.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein