Dragons and giants.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:49:26 +0100 (BST)

> Lemens, Chris:
> >> Giants would have the opposite of the Dragons'
> >> ability to split themselves between body and spirit.
>

> Ferguson: Alex:

Do I detect a satirical note? ;-) (Honest, I just cite people the way they appear in their own headers... I'm too lazy to retype. And far too meek to be so presumptious, of course. <g>)

> >In what sense do dragons have such an ability?
>

> This is an oblique reference to the difference between True Dragons and
> Dream Dragons (or whatever they are called now).

Ah! It's not really a split, as such. Or at least, not a very equal one. A dream dragon is just a teeny-weeny bit of a true dragon -- nothing it'd miss...

> It may not be a split
> between body and spirit. It could be body and mind or two other things
> entirely.

Between Self and Manifestation, perhaps.

> Another idea I like is that a True Dragon could have many Dream Dragons
> caused by it.

That seems likely.

> A giant would be integral. Just one. That's it.

But a big 'un. ;-)

I'm still not convinced about a dragon/giant opposition, in the sort of sense discussed. The giants in the myth of the war can equally well be seen as representing the celestial court and/or theism. And if there's a cosmological opposition to be had, it's not yet clear to me...

Cheers,
Alex.