Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #750

From: Nick Grant <gimilkhad_at_clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:07:39 +0100

Me:

From: "Nick Grant" <gimilkhad_at_clara.co.uk>:
> Umm how about playing runequest

Fair point. Depends upon what you want from a game. I think HW offers great things, but it's just not clean enough yet to stand on it's own. As I have, you've probably had great games of RQ involving 18 year old green Orlanthi running about Dragon Pass hunting chaos and trying to stay alive, let alone make reputations for themselves as great heroes. HW can't really simulate that well, and vice versa for situations on a grander scale (have you ever run situations with Rune Lord-Priests at 200%+ skills storming a Krarsht temple? it can be very messy, let alone time consuming!...). As well as it's ability to deal with these situations in a clean and exciting way, I - -..

I have to say the mail was sent in fit of drunken nostalgic pique. I have Deluxe HW and a sneaking admiration for it. I can absolutely see how it frees up the narrative potential of RPG'ing. I also have an admiration for HW's very modern complexity, in a way it reminds me a lot of some VERY simulationist games produced by FASA...

My problem is convincing a group of oldschool simulationist questers that they don't actually have to be statistically certain about which arm it is that they've just (had) hacked off, or even that someone's sure of needing healing 6 at all.

BTW I have GM'd a Void Rune Associated, Ogre Krarsht Assassin who made up for his literally area effect countermagic-9, by having 350%-400% skills levels. His Sixer was to eliminate the result of a beastman experiment to create a race of Non-Chaotic Broo. We used a modified version of the Ki (Ri?) skills rules from the AH Orient/Nippon pack to create Hero Skills, which enabled people to modify any standard skill by sacrificing personal temporary Power (MP's to you RQ3'ers) for STRANGE effects. My Agimori Shaman had a Hero Skill in Hear, great fun having a chance of being able to hear the Un-Hearable. The guys haven't yet got quite as far as the Bat but Pavic Tales's MoonBroth II has been seriously considered.

Nick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #753