Re: Giant magic

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:16:27 +0100 (BST)

Trotsky on dragon magic:
> << > Well, altering your size if a prime example of my point, if it's being
> used
> > by someone(thing) of less than dragon sized... Zapping I dunno about --
> > could you be a tad more specific? >>
> >
> > Belching fire is the obvious example.
>
> Pretty much also a part of 'being a dragon', no? >>
>
> No, not really, IMO. No more than throwing lightning bolts is part of
> 'being a Storm Voice'.

Different categories of being. Storm Voices are not an a priori class of entity, they're a social condition which presupposes a magical one. OTOH, the idea of a dragon learning or heroquesting for the ability to breathe fire (etc) seems rather silly.

> For good reason, perhaps... My understanding is that the term Dragon Magic
> describes at least primarily the practice of becoming/being a dragon.
> YDMV... >>

> I'd define it simply as the type of magic that dragons use and which
> results from their worldview.

Only makes sense if you accept that all 'newts and Darudans a priori are dragons (as opposed to potential dragons), since they are the main practitioners of anything one would usefully call 'Dragon Magic'.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm arguing against what Trotsky says on dragon magic, what Greg Sez, and/or what Anaxial's Record says. (Not that I entirely mind, admittedly.)

Cheers,
Alex.