RE: Aldryami Ancestors

From: Yann.Kherian_at_aventis.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:03:21 +0200

// Opinions? These days Aldrya seems to have an awful lot of Ancestor
// Worship about 'her', and the shamaic aspect was always part of how
// Aldrya was worshipped, but I'm finding myself greatly doubting the
// concept of Aldryami ancestors in the first place.

It seems that all the RQ-gods with shamans become shamanic traditions! My little finger said me that it could be the same with Aldrya. Also, Aldrya is probably worshipped as the Mother of the plants, and Flamal as the Father!

// It's too tied into families, and the idea of a
// mummy elf and a daddy elf who love each other very much smacks of
// Tolkien.

Anything that breaks the Tolkien Way-of-thinking is good! Glorantha Elves are actually Vegetal-life forms. And even if they could live longer that warerans, (depending of their essence)
They don't really died but became Trees and Plants. Each Sacred Wood must be full of ancestors spreading slowly their roots under the ground.
Bigger are the trees, older is the familly. It's why Aldryami defend their woods so deseperatly! And dread the fire above all.
  Worshipping a tree is not so different than worshipping a grave.   But forgetting to water the flowers is an offence to grandaddy.

Yannk---

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #768