Re: Anaxial's Rooster & Convulsion

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:44:35 +0100 (BST)

Hannu Kokko:

> Perhaps the Convulsion was a little bit less organised than the previous
> ones, there were for example less seminars to participate in.

Definitely. A cornered committee member extemporised that this was because there was 'nothing left to talk about', which was if nothing else, a bold assertion, given the amount of yammering going on, morning, noon, and night. (Which I imagine will now, circularly, be used as a rationale for the lack of any 'need' of more programming...)

There was certainly no lack of LARPs, mind you. Indeed, too many in one respect, as yet again I didn't get into the Main Event, this time due to a clash with the LARP I was helping run -- bummer. One has to admire the stamina of the 'hard core freeformers' that seemed to LARP their way from one end of the con to the other...

> Should the
> committee for the next one perhaps solicitate more seminars from amongst the
> audience or general public... A call for papers or call for seminar subjects
> on this and hero wars list might be in order.

Hey, some of us go to Cons for fun, and don't want them to start sounding _exactly_ like our day jobs. ;-)

No need to be quite so formal; the 'bring your own panel' idea mentioned in PR2 would have been fine, at least if I had been first of all more timely, and that there was some feasible means of realizing same. Like someone on the committee to contact about this, time of the programme and space on the site set aside for this purpose, etc.

> By the way, I think that the book burnings must stop. DoD/ELC are truly bad
> books but you should never burn books even as a joke, there are bad examples
> in history.

Ah, the eternal liberal paradox. Who shall censor the censors? (Gian has been quiet, but I shan't risk any dog latin to that effect.)

Cheers,
Alex.