Re: Exogamy; bloodlines

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 20:51:03 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> Although King of Dragon Pass doesn't worry about every marriage,
> every one it does worry about happens between two different clans --
> isn't that the definition of exogamy?

That would the definition of _an_ exogamous marriage, yes. If one says 'exogamous clan' it suggests to me that's either the norm or even the invariable custom, which isn't what I inferred (rightly or wrongly) from KoDP. Some of the 'we women need husbands' scenes and outcomes imply that marriageable men are to be found within the clan, don't they? (Perhaps I misrecall or misinterpret.)

> I don't think steads and derbhfines map at all in
> Delela (there are steads, and there are derbhfines, but not all
> members of the latter live in one of the former), and I don't think
> Heortlings really have derbhfines.

My mistook, sorry. (Thank heavens for at least slight qualification.) You think that they're often multi-stead affairs, or that steads or explicitly more heterogeneous in composition?

The reason I use this comparison (about the Heortlings in particular) is that I get the impression several people think of bloodlines as being (typically at least) relatively small, extended-family-sized groups. I especially think this when people start talking about them as if they were 'corporate', or 'legal individuals', or otherwise implying they function as a unitary social group, without specifying how the heck this works...