Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #44

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:09:23 -0500

> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
>> One of my Orlanthi characters is thinking about questing to gain the
>> power of flight.  Any ideas about myths that would work for this?

> Gosh, I always figured that Orlanth had this as an innate power. In
> Hero Wars, you'd just join the Vanganth subcult, no heroquesting
> required.
>
> A plausible quest might involve proving dominion over other air
> spirits (the Vadrudi, for example), since I imagine *controlled*
> flight is the hard part (probably any Orlanthi could improvise magic
> to be carried on an already-existing wind).

> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
> Subject: Flying Orlanthi
>
> Andrew Larsen:
>

>> One of my Orlanthi characters is thinking about questing to
>> gain the power of flight.  Any ideas about myths that would
>> work for this?

> Why doesn't he just join Vanganth the Flyer?

    My campaign is basically a combination of RQ2 and 3 with some HW material worked into it. Thus most magic is through Runespells, while some people quest for more powerful versions of the same, such as the ability to Fly at will (or at least when it's windy). So just joining a subcult won't automatically give someone a special ability. Vangarth the Flyer is certainly a good model for this power--is there a specific myth about him that I can use as the basis for a quest?

Andrew E. Larsen