Re: Paper durability

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:10:18 +0200

> >Parchment, if well made and kept dry, is at least as
> >durable as paper.
>
> If you say so. I've never seen a parchment-paged book which looked like it'd
> last thru one more reading. They keep those in special conditions in
> museums, and even then they are fragile, even tho they are rarely even a
> Thousand years old. Rag paper doesn't need any special treatment. You can
> leave it around anywhere, wet or dry. It retains its strength over time.

According to a lecture I attended, paper lasts a thousand years or so if stored in optimal conditions, parchment lasts perhaps two thousand, but the most durable "soft" writing material is papyrus which lasts at least four thousand years as long as it is stored in dry conditions. Carbonized papyrus is very brittle but otherwise even more resistant to change.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com