literacy, the high council and kudos

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_METROKC.GOV>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:51:04 -0700

A bunch of replies:

Alex writes that:
>This appear to contradict your previous Unchecked Assertions, much
>less other data. Perhaps we're suffering from a lack of clarity about
>what sort of "script" we're speaking of; to wit, a writing system for
>the whole language, roughly as we understand it in the modern sense;
>or a restricted script used for sacred, decorative, and limited
>record-keeping purposes.

My apologies - I should have been more precise. I believe that the Heortlings currently possess at least two scripts. One, an indigenous restricted script used primarily for sacred, decorative, and limited record-keeping purposes. This script predates the Dawn and I do not believe it is borrowed (Greg's comment notwithstanding).

The second script, I think is an alphebetic system based on the Malkioni system but employing several modified Orlanthi runes. It is far from common (outside of the cities of Hendrikiland). I agree with Alex that rural lawspeakers are unlikely to use this script. Finally, there might be other scripts known or once known to the Orlanthi.

Peter Larsen:
>>For instance, the High Council of Genertelan was very Orlanthi. Dorastor
>>was settled by Heortlings in the second century - it would seem likely
that
>>the basic written script used in Dorastor (until (if?) the Bright Empire
>>become dominated by Dara Happa near the end of the fourth century, was
>>related to the traditional Heortling script.
>Was it? I was under the impression it was more influenced by the
>Pelorians, although accounts, predictably, vary -- the Fortunate Succession
>claims it for Khordavu (well, sort of) while Dorastor suggests more
>Orlanthi involvement. The whole thing satrats in Dragon Pass, but didn't
>the Orlanthi get dragged in by Lokamayadon?

That is what the post-First Age Orlanthi tend to believe, however it is wrong. The HCLG was formed during the conflict between the World Council of Friends (principly Orlanthi humans, Uz, Aldryami, Mostali and Dragonnewts) and the Shadzorings (Alkothi) and their Warlord "allies". The Orlanthi gradually split into two factions: the Heortlings, who looked to their High King, and those Orlanthi (including the Talastari) who looked to Dorastor. Lokamayadon was of the second faction. I think Enclosure II has the story of Lokamayadon's early conflict with the Heortling hero Rastalulf. Lokamayadon, although initially a very dangerous foe of the Dara Happans (he reconquered Lakrene from the DH Emperor), later was one of the proponents of reconciling the HCLG with DH.

Finally, I just wanted to echo John Hughes' comments about "Son of Humakt". As, I said a few weeks ago, John's comments are always inciteful.

Jeff

Peter Larsen