EWF religion

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:22:22 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>I am after opinions about Heortling religion in Dragon
>Pass during the Imperial Age, at the height of the EWF. I am basically
>wondering what happened to cults like Ernalda, Lhankhor Mhy, Humakt,
>even Urox.

AFAIK only a small elite was ever absorbed into EWF and most cults continued as before. Most subjects would have had to offer a sacrifice to the dragons to keep them happy (and fed).

>Were they, in some way, assimilated with the prevalent Dragon thinking
>(as Orlanth was) or were they marginalised and suppressed,

While Orlanthi were in the EWF inner council, I don't believe that all Orlanthi were members of Orlanth Dragonfriend then. Most of them would have just been worshippers of Orlanth Thunderous, Orlanth Lawspeaker etc. and seen Orlanth Dragonfriend as another compatible Orlanthi cult.

As for Ernalda, I assume that the EWF influenced it through snake cults (slither!). Perhaps Lhankor Mhy types studied the draconic mysteries through studying written Auld Wyrmish? For Humakt, there always is the Utuma although I can't think of how Uroxi cultists could become draconists and hence assume that they can't.

>Lankhor Wyrm is kinda beleiveable but even there
>I have my doubts (those bearded priests were more influenced by the
>godlearners, IMO)

There were numerous scholarly debates between God Learner and EWF factions in Nochet AFAIK.