Tarkalor

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:45:43 +1300

Douglas Seay

>One thing that has
>gotten my interest has been Tarkalor before he became Prince of Sartar
>and King of Dragon Pass. He seems to have been the leader of a warband
>that kicked a lot of troll (Kitori) butt. Was his motivation simply
>that they were available enemies? Does he have a particular hatred of
>Trolls? Does he have any ties with the Wilmskirk Confederation? Since
>the Kitori were mostly in the Holy Country, is there some anti-Pharoah
>motivation here?

         "[Tarkalor] was looking for a way to make a name for himself,
         and had been dragged into a feud with Kitori clans."
                                 KoS p196.

         "Argrath Voskandorasson was a thane of the Kurtali clan, and
         by virtue of his skills had been initiated as one of the
         Night Jumpers.  This group regularly went into troll lands and
         chased them.  This was considered a sport among the Night
         Jumpers, who were able to fly easily at night."
                                 Ibid p174.

The Kitori raid the Kurtali. In the aftermath of this raid:

         "King Enfrew wished the clan to stop their sport, which had
         provoked such a devastating response."
                                 Ibid p174.

So the feud between the Volsaxi and the Kitori is over the activities of the Night Jumpers at least.

>One thing that Joerg and I wondered about was who raised Tarkalor? Is
>there any chance that he was fostered/grew up in the Wilmskirk area?

A possibility. OTOH opening a road from Wilmskirk to Duckpoint early in his reign (KoS p139) could mean that he didn't like Wilmskirk very much.

>This brings up a secondary question: how long before a person can get a
>subcult? If Tarkalor founded, or redefined, this group of anti-troll
>warriors, could there be a Tarkalor Trollkiller subcult of some god (OA
>or Orlanth the Warrior?).

If there was a subcult that Tarkalor founded, it would have been mentioned. If Tarkalor merely introduced a subcult (I don't see redefinition as possible), then he will be associated with it but it won't carry his name.

>Could he be HeroFormed?

If that is the secret of the hero cult, yes. But if you want the hero cult to teach funky magic as its secret, then it can't have heroforming because a cult can only have one secret.