Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #295

From: plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:13:30 -0600 (CST)

Something that's been bothering me for a while -- Shepelkirt is described in TR as an ancient enemy of Orlanth, the "Blood Moon," and an aspect of the Predark. Based on the GRoY, the Red Moon is [a rebirth of] a rebel sky god (guardian of the most northerly of the Decopolis), pulled down for denying the supremacy of Yelm. (I may have some details wrong here, GRoY is elsewhere). Furthermore, the Red Goddess only picked up her chaos associations during her quest for oneness (healing Gbaji?). So who's this "Blood Moon?" Did the Goddess have these associations back before her destruction at the hands of the Solars (in which case they must have been chummy with chaos for a while, which seems unlikely)? Or is there another "lost" Predark force that's been attached to the Goddess by the Orlanthi (or which she may have incorporated into herself during her quest)? Or is Shepelkirt a public relations move backed up with heroquesting?

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #297