cynical Mr Hall

From: Ian Thomson <arkat_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:10:55 +1100

Mr David Hall says:

> P.S. Apologies to anyone who has ordered the Tentacles Big Rubble and
> Pavis Companion from me. You are on a waiting list, and your copy
> will be sent out when it is *finally* published (or I'll send your
> money back if it never appears)!

As working editor in chief of this totally unpaid fan-based production, I can assure you that it is currently in stage 2 of the layout, and has every chance of hitting the publishers within the very near future. Everyone involved is insanely busy with other things, including real life, and our layout person is also the illustrator and general layout for a variety of other magazines. Hence the delay of several months. But it's now fully an active process again.

It is extremely frustrating for me that there has been this huge delay, but I have to look at it as a 'glass half full' situation. The various people crucially involved (notably Fabian as publication co-ordinator, Dario as illustrator and layout, and myself as content co-ordinator and main writer/editor) are doing this -our very best- for the love of it, and for no greater reward than so that we can have the satisfaction of producing a reasonable magazine for other Gloranthaphiles).
So, how can I complain. I have heard tales of David's impressive organisational skills, and can only mutter in envy as his production lear jet zooms past our seat-of-the-pants wright-brothers contraption. But we will get there, just not quite so swiftly or smoothly.

Vol 3 will take a lot less time to come out than the 10 months for Vol 2, as we're all learning as we go along. Co-ordinating across the continents and time zones has also meant various overlyoptimistic estimates. Probably we should stick to a single editor in chief responsible for all 'press releases' in future. Also, if anyone wants to volunteer for layout we'd appreicate that, then Dario can concentrate on more lovely pictures of trolls n stuff.

Anyway, I want to say thanks to everyone who has been involved. 10 months isn't so bad, especially as about half of Vol 3 looks set to emerge from this too, and will hopefully be out much more quickly.

We're doing our best guys.
Don't shout at us too much.

PS Got any space for more articles in ToRM Dave? I'm sure I've got something on the Big Rubble I could whip up. Shortage of content ain't our problem :)