Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #323

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:34:35 +0200

Me:
>>peoples shed some of their Hsunchen ways. In the case of the Pendali this
>>apparently was reversible, and the Galanini horse hsunchen of eastern
>>Ralios possibly are a similar example.

Jonas:
>I don't believe the Galanini reversed it. I believe the survivors (which I
>don't think are canonical BTW, though both David Dunham and I believe they
>exist) are still theistic sun-worshippers.

I haven't seen them contradicted yet. Theist sun worship as a result of their role in the wars against the Pelorian horse lords, or even prior to contact with the council?

>In fact, they have a lock on Ehilm-worship. No Elmal or Yelmalio or
>anything of the sort among East Wilds Orlanthi.

No Orlanthi sun, or Ehilm as Orlanthi sun?

>>The surprising ease with which some of the Ralians were converted to
>>Lifebringer Ways indicates to me that there were some hidden common roots
>[...]
>>Did the Lifebringer missionaries cut their convertees from their
>>ancestors, or did they manage to convert the ancestors (or some
>>manifestation of the ancestors, an embodiment of their memories and their
>>history) to their theist ways as well?

>OK, now the only conversions which are (sort of) canon for Ralios are the
>ones mentioned in the Broken Council Guidebook: the Vustri tribe of
>highland Enerali, who were already theists and even worshipped a kind of
>storm deity to boot. These are placed on the map in northern Ralios, and
>described as being sceptical of the Council and its God Project. In other
>words, likely ancestors of todays Lanksti and Korioni.

The Korioni were a separate tribe from the Vustri, one of the tribes that remained true to the Enerali ways. Their name lives on in Otkorion, Naskorion, Surkorion. They occupied northern Safelster and the upper Tanier Valley. Makla Man (sp?) was their king when Arkat came, and won him for the Orlanthi. The Vustri were less numerous, living in quite hostile terrain east of Vesmonstran. They received no coverage in the Genertela Book, but I'm sure they exist as fairly savage Orlanthi. One possible source for "serf Orlanthi" of Naskorion, too.

The Korioni still were part of the Dari Alliance in the early stages of the God Project, but they appear as Orlanthi by the time Arkat had overcome the Tanisorans.

>In the BCG, no mention is made of any orlanthi in the east. On the map it's
>just wilderness with the notation "Bemuri". This leads me to believe that
>the East Wilds were converted later, under Nysalor's reign. Which provides
>a nice antagonism between easterners (pro-Nysalor) and northerners
>(pro-Arkat).

I agree that they were most likely converted from Dorastor (which had been settled by Heortlings nevertheless, who later shed most of their Heortling ways for a Councilic culture IMO). Their conversion may have taken place a couple of decades earlier, but definitely by Dorastor-friendly missionaries.

>Now, Nysalorian missionaries apparently could be very persuasive. Not quite
>sure what methods they used in Ralios, but the conversion must have been to
>Lokamayadonic-style Orlanth worship.

That's to be expected even if their conversion occurred early in the fourth century.

[...]
>What I'm fuzzy on is how this "Narnarra the Greater" person fits in. Quite
>possibly the one who taught them which rites to use - I was thinking she
>might be a Silver Age hero of some ilk, David D. suggested a Dawn Age
>Talastaring. I really have no preference, as long as it's not Heortling.

Identifying her with the successful missionary in East Ralios makes sense. A Silver (or Gray) Age hero would be an "unusual" result for a full LBQ - the usual result seems to be a hero from the same age (Arkat, Talor, Sheng). Silver Age heroes seem to be summonable by other means, too - at least in the Holy Country.

>>>IMG they're aware that their ancestors worshipped
>>>animal gods, but not which ones or even that they were animists.

>>I'd prefer a number of odd Orlanthi clans or even tribes with strange
>>traditional magics in addition to more stream-lined Orlanthi.

>Sure they have strange magics. Who in Glorantha doesn't? But not animist
>magic.

Full agreement here (unless they kept one or another odd shamanic tradition in or near their clans, but that's not part of this discussion).

>>I only wonder that they should be willing to abandon their
>>ancestors entirely.

>The explanation I've come up with is that they believe
>their ancestors were really a lost tribe of Vingkotlings who turned to
>animal-worship for survival in the Darkness. Certainly this is what the
>missionaries would have told them. Is it true? You be the judge...

If you use "Vingkotling" in the broader sense of some of the tribes shown in the TR map of the Vingkotling Age, that's my explanation for a possible theist background. They ain't Galanini/Enerali for sure, but that's as far as there is solid info.