Animism/Shamanism

From: Lemens, Chris <CLemens_at_exchange.webmd.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:24:07 -0500

Me:
> I'd assume that, like any ability, the distribution
> of the ability to sense spirits would be in a bell curve.

Julian:
>No. Normally, ONLY 'shamans' and other spirits have that
>ability.

Right. I should have said "interact with". I did not mean to imply that they can see into the spirit world, which they demonstrably cannot. That accidental implication altered the meaning of the remainder of my comments. Reading them without that implication, I stick by them. Some people are unable to interact with spirits, though spirits may interact with them ("whack"). Most can interact with them through an intermediary such as a shaman. Some have sufficient power, talent, chutzpah, or whatever that they can interact with a few spirits without an intermediary because of their own position. (Sacred Chiefs & Family Heads) Fewer still may be able to interact with spirits that are manifest in the mundane world. (Holy People) Fewer still would have the ability to project themselves and others into the spirit world. (Shamans).

I think Julian would disagree with my bell curve construct. If I can put words in his mouth, I think he would say that I am presenting two things that are different in kind (shamans vs. non-shamans) as being different in degree (shamans being an extension of non-shamans). The disagreement is pretty academic, though. Other than that, I think we are in rough agreement.

Chris Lemens