Uleria, Prostitution and Sensibilities.......

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 21:17:53 +0100

Mikko Rintasaari :-
"Uleria, shut up about "prostitutes" already" "What's the damage on you people? ....allways refer to Uleria worshippers as prostitutes. Is almost _everybody_ here so juvenile. . .20th centyry
morals with the word"
"Grow up!"

Mikko>-
Whenever I see the phrase 'Grow Up' I normally assume its being shouted by a teenage idiot. I also normally have a overwhelming urge to reach for a broadsword....In your case I will not do either.

1st:- As PeterM has already said the reason why Uleria is associated with prostitution is 'cos thats the way most of us heard of her...thanks to Apple Lane. I dont think thats all its about...but in 'straight laced soceitys' thats what its going to be famous for. In the same way English people are famous for drinking tea.....often true...but probably not even a majority these days...

2nd:- 20th C associations? I dont bring them along. You have. Prosititution in the 19th/20th/21st C is mostly a ugly explotive trade that is about as victimless as murder or rape. However I can point you in the direction of
'Professionals' both male and female that both make a (good) living at the
'oldest profesion', enjoy their trade and will happliy discuss it with you.
(You or I may find this immoral but thats a value judgement. Personaly it gives me the cold shudders and even as a young Marine I never came close to
'buying' a womans 'product' to quote Heinlien, I'm a Celt and a romantic at
heart))

Uleria is the Goddess of Love. Excellent. She has by extension taken a fair amount of 'lust' and 'Loveplay' into that bargin. Possibly in cultures with more repressed OR less with strong female worship figures she becomes more balanced...but out in the sticks of Sartar 'Love' as in 'Love Marrige' and
'the Joy of Sex' is going to be her main stay. Love Marriges are going to be
frowned apon when there's Cows at stake! Or Political influence! Of course the other side of her worship is (normally hopless) lovers or newly weds sighing over the whole idea of 'romantic love' which is VERY much a modern concept for choosing a partner....

According to Apple lane and various other sources there ARE 'sacred prostitutes'. However Adultery is a nono and its certainly not going to be a favoured job with your parents.

So? Where does that leave us? Runaways? Just like the 20th/21st C.....older worshippers hanging around town looking for the fresh meat..............nope. I dont see the Temple of Uleria playing the pimp. What you might have is people with skills/enthusiaism looking to earn a little pin money on a irrgegular basis...(and I know that still occurs in rural UK) or people who LIKE the lifestyle. Lets face it when the alternative is rasing sheep/cattle and living a life on the stead...working on your back begins to look good to some.

So that brings us back to 'prostitutes'. I'm sure they exist. The common heard ( male and female) arnt going to be Uleria worshippers........just desperate for the cash. Pavis wouldnt be Pavis without 'Beings of easy Virtue' This will be especially true in Urban areas, out side of the Lunar strong holds...I'm sure the Lunars have VERY different ideas about this. However the high class professional or the village/trading post whore will exist. Living a pragmatic and fairly enjoyable life. Read up on some of the French/Spain history on this where the village 'Profesional' was a VERY influentional lady after all what village headman was going to risk her telling his wife of his frequent visits!

As to Peter's commments.........is 'worship' at the Temple/shrine of Uleria adultery? Is there some sort of protective magics so that it doesnt show? Or is the 'trade' aspect of Ulerian worship only for passing cashed up single non-Orlanthi's....traders etc. After all cash neednt be the only method of exchange........

However Prositution is going to be rare, scandelous and generally a great plot device .... if it suits your game. However the very fact that Adultery is scandelous/illegal means that prostituion is virtualy certain...now if sex where freely available in/outside of marrige to all.....irrespective of wealth/looks/prestige well that would kill it off stone dead!

I've recently played in a (non-gloranthan) game where the players (myself included) encouraged prositution at a local Inn...boosts revenues, gave caravans a reason to stop etc......however when the local village 'Grande Dam's' found out.......boy was there trouble!

I dont think that even the majority of Ulerian worshippers are going to be prostitutes.......but the long term membership is going to have a lot of them (plus mistresses etc) amongst their ranks....

DomT