The Dead Place

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:35:59 -0700

At 11:45 AM 4/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>> > Do some/any/all of the Dead Place serpents flow uphill ?
>I mean Dead Place.
>
>But of course, my question is thematically related to the Dead Bottom
serpents.
Answered elsewhere.

>The big trollpak map has the Adari and Zalador/Dozalin rivers flowing into
the Dead
>Place, plus a third watercourse which looks suspiciously like a serpent to
me. All
>of these are "seasonal rivers" according to the map key.* They all have
little
>"serpent heads" in the Dead Place. Does that make them all "serpents" in
Praxian
>parlance ?

Yes, in Praxian parlance.

Or just the third unnamed one and any other similar small watercourses of
>Dead Place, not specifically called "rivers" ?
They are also the rivers, of course.

>I think that the Adari and Zalador/Dozalin flow downhill at least (or we'd
have
>heard about them doing otherwise).

The ONLY river that flows uphill that I know about is the Syphon, inHeortland.
Plus the Dead Bottom serpents.
Plus several bores that occur, from tidal, draconic or thieistic origins.

>Also the heads are inside the Dead Place, so I'd guess that the three that
are shown
>flow downhill normally.

Yes, and where the head is is the mouth of the river. The irregular rivers have evaportated, sunk into the ashes or simply whithered away by the time they reach there.

(on my maps anyway. Some fan reproductions have changed the appearance of some things that I am setting right int he offical publication.)

>Does the Dead Place have "serpents" though ?
Yes, but they only flow in one direction.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #357