Illumination

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:49:39 -0700

Greg Stafford says to

me:
>>Let's see if I have this right. The Pelorians have a tradition of mysticism
>
>Better: they have a tradition of transcendant practice within their theist
>religion whose sphere of activity is the same as that of mysticism (a
>system).

        Ahhh, here's the piece of the puzzle (well, OK, a piece) I was missing -- some Pelorian (and Pelandan, and maybe Tarumath) deities have a portion which, although theist, is concerned somehow with the same (or similar) trancendence that concerns the mystics. Their philosophies produce results that might look like Theism (a game construct) or Mysticism (a game construct), but are really part of the theist world (but with mystic-like elements). So Taraltara, although run using the Mysticism rules, is a theist cult rather than a mystic school. Which may be a ridiculous distinction, but I'm trying to make sense of the difference between "Gloranthan reality" and the game-lens through which it is described.

Thanks for the rest of the answer; it was clarifying (but not Illuminating!)

Peter Larsen