cotton mouths

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_marconi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:38:25 -0400

Adept wrote:
> In the lands of the Orlanthi (Dragon Pass) the example snake is listed as
> a cottonmouth. Isn't that an American rattlesnake?

and TTrotsky replied:
> An American pit viper actually. Much the same, admittedly, except that
> they don't rattle. The rattlesnake is a Pelorian beast.

Just about all poisonous snakes in North Carolina are in the pit viper family (Cotton Mouth [aka Water Mocassin], Rattlesnake and Copperhead). I don't know if one is more deadly than another, but I fear the Cotton Mouths far more than the others. They are aggressive, territorial, and instead of injecting a large amount of venom in a quick bite, they latch on and gnaw. Ungh.