Re: Red Moon Risin' (a trifle long)

From: Erik Nolander <eriknolander_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 11:35:09 +0200

Hiya,

About the Red Moon and her movements - I wrote thusly:
> > I've thought about this as well, but then I remembered hearing that the
>Red
> > Moon probably stays the same height everywhere in Glorantha, except
>within
> > the Glowline. I think this is in print somewhere, or maybe it has been
> > discussed here on the Digest. Don't know what I prefer though, but since
> > the RM is kind of "in-between" the Inner Plane and the Godplane, I think
>it
> > makes sense and becomes a lot creepier if it stays the same height.

And some replies:

Ben Waggoner:
> Interesting. So does the Red Moon visibly move in the sky as one
>crosses the glowline? Or is at incremental effect over some distance as
>one
>approaches it?

IMO, it starts to "rise" when you enter the Glowline, and is at its top height over Glamour.

Alex Ferguson:
>That's my understanding also. The RM isn't *quite* in the sky world,
>but is very nearly so, and even more so (in some sense I shall make
>imprecise...) in the Glowline. So it doesn't look like it's at any
>finite, sensible height above the lozenge, but it doesn't *quite*
>look like a normal sky object either. (Even above it being non-rotating,
>non-tilting, and non-rise-and-setting...)

I heartily agree with the above. A heretical thought: if the Empire succeeds in killing Orlanth, would this mean the Red Moon would become more of a Middle Air object, and so would seem to "be" more in the world than it seems now?

Julian Lord in response to Alex:
> > No; though the truth may be odder still. ;-) My current understanding
> > (thinking, or assumption, as the case may be) is that: a) the red moon
> > is always in the apparent direction of Glamour;
>
>The Crater surely ? (quibble, quibble, toil and tribble as at least one
>cross-posting openherowarser might put it)

Well, Glamour and the Crater *are* next to each other... Anyway, I think it would "center" upon the Temple of the Reaching Moon in Glamour.

> > b) it doesn't have a
> > "physical height", at least inside of the Glowline; rather, it appears
> > in effect to be "in" the Sky;
>
>But this might not prevent it from having an "apparent" height ?

Why would it be prevented? It looks like it's hanging in the sky, which gives the illusion of height.

> > and c), the Glowline itself effects
> > what _part of_ the sky the moon is seen in (and possibly even whether
> > it's part of the Sky, or part of the Middle Air).
>
>hmmm ... sounds pretty weird. If true, does this mean that the RM over
>Sartar
>(sorry couldn't resist the pith) "apparently" acts like a yo-yo during the
>Dragonrise ?

Why not? During the Dragonrise, reality-as-Heortlings-know-it becomes a bit elastic, and I would definitely bring in some description of the Moon moving in the sky at this point.

Jerome Blondel:
>I was thinking horizontally :-) In the western seas the moon is east of
>Kalikos (north star), and vice-versa, but as you get closer to some "red
>moon meridian", the moon gets closer to Kalikos (assuming it's in the same
>direction as the Crater).

Ah, I assumed you were talking about the height. Must try to remember to think in 3 dimensions, not just one... ;) I think you're right about this, and it also seems to fit with the 'Roving Searchlight' theory about the phases of the moon.

Signing off for now,

Erik Nolander