Some LBQ Answers, Greg Version

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:47:05 -0700

At 11:45 AM 7/19/2001 -0700, Ben Waggoner wrote:

> There's been some thinking about souls on the list lately, an it got me
>to wondering about the LBQ. It's supposed to be able to bring "anyone back
>from Hell." But what about folks that aren't in hell? We know that Sheng
>being in a Lunar hell, he was near-impossible for the Gods to extract.
> What about other dead people who aren't in hell? Wyters? Ancestors?
I would clarify that "in hell" could mean any land of the dead.

> We know (or at least think we know) that, over time, the dead lose their
>individuality, and eventually are reincarnated largely without any memory of
>their past lives. Can a LBQ bring someone back who was partially along this
>path?

No. The disintegration process (if it occurs) is generally rapid.

>And what are they like when they get back?
The soul or spirit of a dead person brought back to this world is a ghost of some type. Its religious connections might be discernable, or an elemental association, but not personality.

> One theory would be that the only folks a LBQ gets back are those
>trapped in a hell or the recently dead. Of the historical LBQ's, we don't
>know much about the status of the subjects of them. Anyone know if Arkat
>was simply killed, or was he intentionally trapped in hell?
Arkat was killed by Palangio the Iron Vrok.

> One MGF thought on all of the above is that the magic of the LBQ is that
>it doesn't always bring back the person you went after.
In general, to my knowledge, specific individuals are not sought. Sure, Orlanth went after Yelm and Argrath went after Sheng Seleris, but Harmast did not have an individual in mind either time he went.

>Sometimes it might
>create a new entity based on the questor's expectations, or in the case of
>one on the course of losing their individuality, reshapes them in the form
>the questor anticipates (or fears). Arkat's ready adoption of Orlanthi ways
>after Harmast's rescue of him might be an example of that.
This is great story speculation for ways to keep a band of players guessing.

>And do we know
>if Talor was laughing before Harmast went looking for an anti-Arkat?
I do know several things about Talor, but I do not know the answer to this. Very clever possible insight.

> And on another note, we know that CA resurrection is sort of a lesser
>version of the LBQ. Do we know what the rituals and myths behind
>resurrection is in other cultures that have that power? I'd be very curious
>to know how it comes out from a Yelmic perspective.
CA exists in the Yelmic pantheon.

AND OTHER People added:

> The more I think about it, the more I think the LBQ isn't about
>resurrection at all. It's the source of CA's resurrection powers,
Not exactly so. CA's own previous mythology of resurrection provided critical parts of the LBQ.

>but it's
>real purpose is to change the world.

This is the most important point, and as David Dunham pointed out: Note that Orlanth's purpose is to right a terrible wrong (see Gloranthan Visions or King of Sartar).

> Yep. Do we know of any Solar resurrections of others besides that of
>Yelm?

Lodril has a repeated story of returning from (his) land of the Dead in The Entekosiad.

> The more I think about it, the more I think the LBQ isn't about
>resurrection at all. It's the source of CA's resurrection powers, but it's
>real purpose is to change the world.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>