Fertility and definitions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:25:53 +1200

Peter Lars

> >The existing list of primal rune holders is incomplete when
> >it comes to Pelorian and other non-Orlanthi mythologies.
> >Shargash (only vaguely known then and not even a name) is
> >listed along with Lodril and Oria on page 98 of the
> >Glorantha: Intro.

>More than this, I'd say that there has been a radical reenvisioning
>of how the theist universe (all of magical Glorantha, really) works.

I don't seen anything that suggests a radical re-envisioning. The four worlds has been around as long as Cults of Terror.

> >But [Malia] does not have any fertility powers *now* yet she's still
> >recognized as mother of disease. Hence simply because Shargash
> >is recognized as Father of Alkoth does not mean that they recognize
> >him as having fertility powers.

>Um, I think we're going to have to disagree here. In a non-game
>mechanics-classification sense, being "father" or "mother" to
>something means a fertility connection to that thing.

But I didn't say fertility connection, I said fertility _powers_. I'm having difficulty understanding why you think a mere genealogical connection is an indication of having fertility powers. Humakt can be defined as having fertility powers because he has a genealogical connection to Arkat.

>I don't think Orlanth is a fertility god

If you don't think Orlanth is one then why do you feel that Shargash is a fertility god, based on his connection with the people of Alkoth?

>It seems that every Tom, Dick, and Harry had the Death rune, for example,
>just because they were combat gods. Now, it looks like we have a finer
>distinction between gods who Fight (Orlanth, Vinga, Heler, etc.) and those
>who Bring Death (Humakt and Babeester Gor).

I really don't see the distinction that you make. Orlanth never had the death rune (his connection with violence is through the Storm rune).

>Similarly, a lot of gods have associations with runes that they
>don't "hold" -- that "minor association with Fertility" bit about
>Thed (Lords of Terror, p.48) is an example of this.

Deities do hold secondary runes.