Vingan Clans

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:03:20 GMT

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_pheasnt.demon.co.uk>

>My gut feeling is that there can't be any Vingan clans out of pure
>pragmatism. If the clan is dominated by women who put aside their
>sexuality (or at least roles as mothers) in favour of fighting, then
>where does the next generation come from?
>
>There are of course clans which turn to Vinga in crisis, but that's
>surely just for the crisis. There are clans where Vinga is the
>dominant Thunderbrother, but I don't think it's sustainable to have a
>clan were Vinga is the default female religion. At least not without
>Nandan's birthing aspect...

The way I see that working is that the women take a short break from the cult in the later stage of pregnancy and for the birth. Then passing the baby over to a wet nurse until it is weaned onto animal milk when the father can take over. It requires a cultural shift from the normal Heortling clan so there would have to be special circumstances to cause this.

More crucial is Simon's point that Vinga doesn't have much in the way of ruling aspects - leadership in an emergency seems to be about it. So there's a place for Ernalda the Leader to run the clan on an ongoing basis.