Great Gods & High Gods & Vithelan Gods

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:44:26 +0200

Alex:

> Greg Stafford:
> > These are the Vithelan High Gods that are the transcendant essences of
> > "sun-ness" and so on. Aether might be this, for instance.
>
> There are Vithelan High Gods that are the transcendant essences of "and
> so on", but is there one specifically associated with the sun? I didn't
> think there was. (Where's Nils when you need him? (Out in the
> Schwedish Schticks, to answer my own query.))

Back from the swedish sticks (loaded with vegetables).

You are pointing at my major confusion at Greg's comment. The High Gods are not associated with the physical world. They are rather fundamental principles: Oorduren is Liberation, Vith is the World Order, Korudel is mathematics/ numbers etc.

Maluraya, the Vithelan sun god, is not a High God. But it seems right for the mystically inclined Vithelans not to connect the high gods (directly) with physical phenomena. Other cultures might think otherwise. A hint is that the God Learners equated Kralorelan TarnGatHa with Aether, and TarnGatHa occupies much the same cosmogonical position as Vith.

> I did once suggest that one of the eastern titles of the sun might be
> Vith's Eye, though. (Reflecting that it's not a "whole" High God, but
> might be seen as the manifestion of one.)

Which connects well with the above reasoning, I think. Looking to the real world for a parallell (perilous, I know), indian Vishnu, who bears more than a passing resemblance to Vith, also has a sun god aspect.

> Though my favourite has to be
> The Great Orange...

The latter is not very high godly for sure... (unless we attribute silliness to one of them) :-) Karkal's Brazier is another epithet of the sun.

Peter Larsen:

> If I'm living off in Vithela, and I worship a god of the Storm, I'm
> not somehow worshipping Orlanth. I can imagine that I'm strengthening Air,
> and, because the big O is the biggest Air god, he benefits the most, but
> it's an indirect thing. Otherwise, we're back to the monomyth.

Here we can actually be a bit less abstract as the East Isles has its own autonomous wind system which is independent of Orlanth's big world storm. So I assume that if you worship Veldru, the Vithelan wind god, you do _not_ give collateral worship to Orlanth. You may worship Orlanth directly though, as he is known as Serakaru (or possibly Bitador), a vile antigod who sends typhoons at the isles.

Nils Weinander
There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink, and for him to find enjoyment in his work. -- Ecclesiastes 2:24

Do You Yahoo!?