Elmal

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:59:12 +1200

Peter Larsen:

>Me>But it's not common knowledge that Elmal is just a cheap Yelm
> >impersonator, it's common knowledge that he was once in the
> >Fire Tribe and Yelm is the head of the Fire Tribe. You are
> >confusing the issue between the recognition of Yelm as the
> >Great Fire God and how Elmali come to terms with Yelmic Sun
> >worship.

>Is Yelm always the Great Fire God?

Yes.

>I thought that whole Evil Emperor thing was becasue the identification
>wasn't certain (although it seems pretty fixed by 3rd Age Glorantha).

The Evil Emperor has always been the Head of the Fire Tribe. What the Orlanthi didn't know was that the Dara Happans called him Yelm.

> >Do they? From the descriptions of the ceremonies, it looks
> >like they just simply participate. I don't see how this can
> >be compared to Dara Happan sages engaging in heavy
> >philosophizing in their day-job.

>In an inferior way?

No, not even an inferior way. The Orlanthi do not engage in abstract thought about their religion. Hence it is not required for to make their Storm God more potent.

> >One might discover a new subcult for [Elmal] but they would
> >be no greater in power than existing subcults. Adding a
> >new subcult isn't what I consider deeper solar understanding.

>Woops, I meant subcults. I suppose it would depend on what the
>subcult was about, whether it deepened the Elmali's solar
>understanding.

But subcults do not deepen solar understanding. They only add breadth, not depth. For example Anatyr's subcult only shows only to apply Elmal's light to ruling a clan - it does not deepen any insight into Elmal himself.