Re: Mystics in HW2

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 23:45:14 +0200

Greg :

> > Does that mean that Mystics and
> > mysticism got put on hold until complete Eastern (Kralori) supplements
> > will be published?
>
> Maybe. Here is the real reason: the entire HW book is to describe "How
> the Game World Works." Then we present 1 out of 4 magic systems that
> basically says, "We don't obey the rules." I find that to be too
> incongruous to be comfortable. So I have decided that we will present the
> rules without a mystical system.

I can understand the rationale behind this, but will there be some text presenting a few of the basics of mysticism, even if the/a corresponding magic system isn't described ?

Just so that the readers can understand that mysticism exists, and something of its (relative) importance in Glorantha ?

> The rule book ought to indicate the
> mainstream, core rules upon which Gloranthan reality exists.
>
> Exceptions are, as always, the stories of the world: your games.

I hope that HW2 will present this idea fairly explicitely and prominently : perhaps even with some examples of 'proper' rules-breaking ?

I think that it's a very useful clarification (esp. for newcomers to Glorantha).

Julian Lord