Re: Issaries, a Great God The Glorantha Digest V8 #574

From: KEMREN_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 02:39:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/01 4:14:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com writes:

<< that involved the appearance of the God of the Silver Feet, another name
for
 Issaries, and killed him. >>

    I wouldn't say "killed" him. I would say that it temporarily  interrupted his runic connection in Fronela and other Western lands that were helpful in this HQ. Particularly the rune of Trade/Communication. If you can't get there you can't Trade/Communicate.

        The Redline History says that this group was "led by Prince Snodal of Loskalm. The heirs of Snodal claim to have spoken to the prince's ghost, sent by the Invisible God (say some) but summoned through darkest necromancy (say others). The prince claimed that the effort was necessary to preserve Fronela from a tremendous curse sent by Zzabur, the malicious sorcerer of Brithos whose motivations have always been secret. Scholars at the University of Sog, seeking to duplicate the summoning of the prince, got instead some of his companions in the heroic venture, who corroborated the prince's tale. Those summoning scholars also speculate that the disappearance of Brithos was not an intentional act by Zzabur to move his land to another plane (as claimed by the Brithini of Arolanit), but a disaster caused by the backlash of the failed spell against Fronela."

<< It's also an indication that at some level gods "really are" tied to the
 natural phenomenon they represent. "Killing" Issaries didn't just interrupt  communication for theists -- most Fronelans weren't theists, after all. >>

    I agree that gods can be interrupted in areas. But I believe that the West today has a good deal of theist/spirit cults.

<< Furthermore: if it weren't for the fact that Issaries returned from Hell
as
 part of his Godtime activities, would it have been possible to end the Ban?  Did a notable Westfaring happen at the time of the end of the Ban? (For  instance, was Dormal a Lightbringer?) >>

    The redline history says "The cause for the Syndices Ban's lifting is also a mystery. The scholars of the University of Sog speculate that the same force which broke the Closing of the seas began the deterioration of the Ban, possibly as a side effect. Many others claim to be the source, with the most persistent claim being by the High Archpriest of Loskalm (whose long sorcerous ritual is on record), the loudest claim being from the Kingdom of War (who claim to have burst all bonds and broken magical walls), and the most piercing voice coming from the lunar city-states (whose moon boats, they claim, have been operating in secret for years)."

    Issaries along with being a Lightbringer and traveling to hell and, under RQ2, has a sub-cult in which one of its purposes is to map the underworld, is also the psychopomp of the Lightbringers. But I do not believe he was 'killed," I doubt any deity can be killed within time due the Compromise. Their influence diminished yes, killed, no.

    Yes, Dormal's seafaring did occur around this time, which I believe caused the opening of not only the oceans but of the Ban as well.

    Hasn't anyone else ever wondered why Dormal has a Communication rune. Could it be that he was a devotee of Issaries and did some heroquesting. Maybe he even had access to some old Godlearner information from Old Slontos.  We know the Trader Princes worship Issaries and controlled the land route to the West for hundreds of years. What do we really "know" about Dormal's parentage, history, age, etc.?

While we are on the subject of Issaries, what was he doing all those years during Yelm's reign? He is the child of two celestial court members. He and others would have to well past ancient, possibly older that the elements. Could this be why Lhankor Mhy has prohibitions on the elements?

If I remember correctly, In GRaY, there is a story about Lorkanos. In the story it states that Lorkanos had a master who gave him a medallion or some such, but it fails to mention whom him master was....Then in KoS it states that a number of gods had been removed from Yelm's realm for trying to steal a gazelle or some such. Could there be a relation between these two stories?

I can imagine this, Yelm declaring that Issaries be forever banished into the wilderness and his name stricken from all existence for the horrible crime that he had committed. The crime could have been creating Umath, or at least his part in it.

Just a few thoughts.

Keith

BTW, can you tell I favor the Issaries cult.