Baths of Nelat

From: andrew joelson <ajoelson_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:20:29 +0000

    Somebody asked about the Baths of Nelat, as a cure to aging. I heard Sandy
Peterson speak briefly on the subject at Glorantha Con IV.

    The Baths of Nelat were used by Orlanth to purify himself as one of the stages of the LBQ. It was preceded by Orlanth entering the Realms of Water, and having many 'encounters' in Magasta's kingdom. Including an appearance at Magasta's court, and a struggle against a terrible water monster as bad as
a true dragon...

    The Orlanth that came out of the Baths is not the same Orlanth that went in.
Orlanth endured terrible pains and injuries in the Baths; he was also healed/
purified of many/all of his faults/crimes. Harmast substituted a purififaction
by fire ritual because (if memory serves me correctly), it was a weaker ritual,
and one that he could survive.

    Maybe the Baths would confer youth or agelessness, but that would be a side
effect; the main purpose of the Baths is purification.

    Look it up in the GC IV conpendium.

Andrew Joelson