Saird

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 02:15:17 +0900

Dear Harald:
Some Questions about Saird and Imther:

After our last contact, I finally got a copy of NLG 1 & 2 from one of my Japanese friend.
I have been fascinated by the Cycles of Imtherian Mythology (but I don't know how much you have changed / adopted to other area contributers for making Unified Nexus of many cultures after publishing NLG and GS made list of Experts, but I am sure that certainly Argrath will move northward after taking care of Tarsh Storm betrayers in HW Schedule.)

Limited Geographical Location of Imther to other Countries: Connection between Vanch and Imther is another problematic matter, as John Hughes said, "Good Lunar is only Dead Orlanthi."
>From the Beginning of Time, Dara Happans and Orlanthi incessantly have
backed and forthed their territories. You mentioned it about in Glorantha Con 2 Compendium Imther Seminar.

Yelmalio is in a sense sideeffect of incompatibity of these Two Cultures which added by Nysalor as a sort of EWF, High Storm Tarumath, etc... Aside from Struggle between Orlanthi Culture (Berenethtelli? and EWF) and Dara Happa (Dara-ni): Heliakal and Khelmal, I can pick up Many Hill of Gold Mythology and memory of "Dead Light God" Center, like a Roman Soldier God Mithras, even after Aryan and Persian Personality lost, it gained more clear existence from Neighbor Area.

I don't know how much you harmonized these ideas which written by others and as far as I have read NLG, percentage of Orlanthi supporters in Dara Happan Rebellion and percentage of Dara Happans who contributed trying the River Spirit of Tripolis in Kynnelfing Alliance is not large number and most of them are "local" area people from buffer areas of DH and Heortling. If I want to see the cooperation against Lunar Empire, Orlanthi know the riddling rite against "Jealous Uncle" as Devotee Windking, but Dara Happans?

As far as I have read NLG, I cannot find mentioning about Jajagappa, (it appeared in Redline History Paragraph: Illustration of Lunar Vase. I see in Jajagappa has similarity to Egyptian Death God Anubis: as Greek Hermes for the Role of Psychopomp / and I can count your many Analogue in RW Greek and Jew sources for Khelmal Cycle. Enclosure 2 involved some articles about Geography of Saird and Lose of Heliakal, many subordinate dog gods to Heliakal...but NLG wrote Heliacal as a subordinate of Imtherian Khelmal. I don't know how I should understand it. What is Tunoral?

Deluge of Anaxial, Sshorga: is another matter for analyzing (I don't know what is "Earthquake Lake" (Excuse me, I have only Japanese Version Gods of Glorantha Cult Book) which existed in Flood, is it linked to Elf Sea?) , I picked up many maps as a GTA Initiate but I cannot find the Theistic independent Mythological Map in the Library. Satrapy which involves Alkoth was changed from to Kostaddi after the Avalonhill Genertela Box for more cultivating the worship of Shargash and the Underworld City against Darjiini SurEnslib.
Horse Rider Beren and Hyaloring: Saird is very confused Area. AFAIK, 1st Age Rastalulf Saga and Vingkotling certainly lived in the near of Hill of Gold as traditional "Orlanthi", Goddess of Saird: Ernalda (GROY wrote about Ernalda in Saird) is another important source for the proof of strong influence of Storm Barbarians. And later, EWF and a sort of Kynnelfing Alliance. I find difficulty watching about these back-and-forth. Harald Smith certainly made a great work for this area.

And I guess it is one of Greg Stafford Secret? Elf Sea is Origin of Horse Pentan Riders: I think the article of "Ancestors of the Lenshi Kings (1998): Hurfor and the Starlight Tribe" hinted this origin. As if they were RW Scythians who lived near of Caspian Sea. Maybe Berenethtelli, Pelandan Lenshi, Jenarong Dynasty and Hyaloring in GROY are all descendants from that Area.

Inhumans are other matters. Elf Sea was once a "Elf Sea", and Dwarves in Imther lived from Unknown Old Age, even the existence of propaganda of Declaration of Emperor Khordavu. (I permitted they lived in Imther.)

And I searched with Internet for: Daniel Boone the model of Jannisor for you. As a decadent heir of long history, I feel more sympathy to Dara Happans than your Image of this "Noble Barbarian", but I like much your idea about his adventures. If Jannisor was still revered by Imtherians even under suppression of Lunars, maybe death of Royal Lines are caused by Lunars...

Sincerely:

> Hello--
>
> Yes, I did get your quick message, though I must admit I had no idea who
it
> was from. Do you have a name other than Terra Incognita? Anyway, good to
> hear from you and I'm happy to hear that you have some interest in my old
> Imtherian and Jannisor material. Although I will certainly not take the
> title of High Priest of Heliakal--that god was crushed beneath the ice in
> the Gods Age. These days my interests are in the gods of Saird and
> Vanch--Jajagappa, Tunoral (aka Khelmal), and other lesser figures.
>
> As the only person who has written stories of Jannisor beyond Greg's
> original material, I do know more of Jannisor, though my conception of him
> is changing somewhat based on recent "discoveries" pertaining to Saird and
> Jajagappa. Jannisor comes from the wilder lands of Vanch and Imther.
He's
> a very provincial "barbarian" in one sense and very savvy and cunning in
> another. If you are familiar with Daniel Boone of early American frontier
> history, then you have some picture of my vision of Jannisor (complete
with
> raccoon-skin cap). Jannisor is also very much a wanderer and, I now
> believe, a devotee of Jajagappa. He comes and goes in the lives of
others,
> bringing aid where he can and striking down evil, much like his god.
>
> The Dara Happans think him extremely uncouth (even the Alkothi, who most
> other Dara Happans look down upon). It is unclear whether the Alkothi
tried
> to use Jannisor as a means to topple the Red Emperor or if Jannisor tried
> use the Alkothi to bring down the evil and soulless Red Moon, though
> Jannisor clearly viewed the Red Moon as evil and sought to bring it down
> (much as he bound the Mad Sultanate to Tork). As a follower of Jajagappa
> the Catcher of Souls and Psychopomp, though, Jannisor knows the paths of
the
> Underworld and is not afraid to venture even into Alkoth and Shargash's
> realm (or to the edge of the moon for that matter).
>
> When I have a chance I can try to find and forward to you some of the
> Jannisor stories.
>
> Harald

Shargashi
> Elevens. They always seemed to speak harshly and never choose their words
> before public. And their devotion against "Empire of Other" looks like
> before the collapse. But Vinyardavu was unusually well to the Tradition of
> Southern Barbarians and Jannisor was very unique attitude toward this war
> buddy.
>
> Sable Riders and CharUn Nomads barely stayed under the order of these Two
> Commanders and wanted to play freely the loot of plunders, but they also
> possessed common hatred past treatments of Lunars and it managed to unify
> them, and Jannisor's Guardian Daemon Karashaal stayed outside of
Viyardavu's
> Great Hall, and Legion of Footsoldiers of Rist Aldryami stayed silently
but
> firmly at the corner of there.
>
> After the Public Meeting, Jannisor spake to his friend.
> "When can you awake Destroyer and destroy Lesilla? What kind of help do
you
> need to rebel against Lunars with Whole Region of Dara Happa?"
>
> Vinyardavu stated,
> "As you know, Shargash always need permission from Yelm to use his whole
> Power because he know the risk of his power without restriction against
> Kuzkurtum and I succeeded Ten Tests, so I SHOULD have right to Succeed
> freeing Shargash."
>
> Jannisor Asked,
> "What's wrong?"
>
> Vinyardavu talked,
> "Apparently TakenEgi intentionally destroyed the record of requirement
> because he think he never permits other become his successor, and
Yelmgatha
> found the Ancient Yelmic Tradition salvaged from Library of Alkothian
> Buserium."
>
> Jannisor stated grimly,
> "But I crippled Doskalos, why should I need more to harm that wretched
> existence?"
>
> Vinyardavu closed his eyes.
> "Who remember the Day when Dara Happa still hold the real power over
> Authority to Dara Happa? Only Flag of Tripolis flutters with the Divinity
of
> Khordavu and Power of Castokum. Shargash Warriors could not feel change,
> they feel only cycle. So everything is justified without Inspection of
> Dayzatar's Light. Everyone wants the Crown of Dara Happa, but no one wants
> our arms.
> I know the history when Oradenestyu banned the whole Worship to Nysalor
as
> that to his Darkside Gbaji. Blood of Erzanestyu and Denesiod faded long
> before our Time."
>
> (Horrible Heroquest in the Deepest Part of Alkoth.)
>
> SHARGASH CRIED, "WHY WE ALWAYS BEAR IN MIND ABOUT OUR OBEDIENCE TO
BIJIIF?"
> LUKARIUS TALKED, "WE WILL SMASH FALSE SON AGAIN WITH MY ARROW OF TRUTH"
> DAYZATAR STATED, "SHARGASH, YOU IGNORED ME IN THE CYCLE OF TIME, SO YOU
WILL
> BE CONFINED TO YOUR RING"
> OURANIA WHISPERED, "OUR VIRGINITY IS DIMINISHED BY THE CONFLICT OF TWO
GREAT
> WAR GOD, SHARGASH AND POLARIS. DON'T STAY LONG WITH US"
> JANNISOR TOLD TO HIS FRIEND, "TAKENEGI LEFT THAT TRAP IN THE LIBRARY."
> VINYARDAVU CONFESSED, "I'M SORRY, I KNOW IT. WE COULD NOT DEFEAT RED MOON
BY
> THE MIGHT OF SHARGASH. BUT I MUST TRY IT."
>
> I describe Jannisor's character to that of Orlanthi Berenethtelli as they
> lived in 1st Age near of Hill of Gold. But I don't know how trickster
> Orlantio(?) acted to your sketch of Saird. Do you know more about
Jannisor?

> To Martin Laurie, Viceroy of Lunar Empire and Professional of Miltary:
>
> I should read more about Scale of Army and Geographical Image of
Tripolis.
> And City Walls were not most flexible part of City Expanding and Shrinking
> of the Population of both Army and Citizens. I think Alkoth is most
limited
> for expanding for their Army Reliance and Restriction for Ring of
Shargash.
> I don't know who set the identity of Green King, Red King and Mysterious
> Black King. My Image to Alkoth is mixed Image of Indian Delhi and Sparta.
> Lunar "Divide and Rule" policy divided Tripolis to three Satrapies.
>
> First Blessed 900,000: Yuthuppa-Esvuthil
> Silver Shadow 175,000 (except Glamour 500,000): Raibanth-Vonlath
> Darjiin 950,000: Alkoth-Henjarl

Below is from reply of Martin Laurie
> > To Martin Laurie, Viceroy of Lunar Empire and Professional of Miltary:
>
> > I should read more about Scale of Army and Geographical Image of
Tripolis.
> > And City Walls were not most flexible part of City Expanding and
Shrinking
> > of the Population of both Army and Citizens. I think Alkoth is most
limited
> > for expanding for their Army Reliance and Restriction for Ring of
Shargash.

> Yes, they don't expand the city beyond the ring, except for the docks
which
> move a lot dur to the river moving. Alkoth though has a large population
and
> is a packed city. 90,000 live there in the 1620s. The city is around 20
> metres higher inside at ground level than outside. The buildings are
build
> on the ruins and foundations of previous works and are usually very tall.
>
> Yuthuppa has 80,000
>
> Raibanth 75,000
>
> Elz Ast is also a DH city and has 35,000
>
> > I don't know who set the identity of Green King, Red King and
Mysterious
> > Black King. My Image to Alkoth is mixed Image of Indian Delhi and
Sparta.
> > Lunar "Divide and Rule" policy divided Tripolis to three Satrapies.
>
> Alkoth is like no earth city as it is in the underworld. People there
live
> in a perpetual gloom, the air is thick with ash and the sky streaked with
> demons and energies. It is a frightening place, yet they carry on normal
> lives within it. They have children, they make goods, they have love and
> politics etc.
>
> > First Blessed 900,000: Yuthuppa-Esvuthil
> > Silver Shadow 175,000 (except Glamour 500,000): Raibanth-Vonlath
> > Darjiin 950,000: Alkoth-Henjarl
>
> Alkoth is in Kostaddi
>

> > My Image:
> > Yuthuppa / Peace of Sky World / Phoenix / Babylon, Tenotitran? /
Buserian,
> > Dayzatar,
> > Anaxial
>
> Reasonable
>
> > Raibanth / Rule of Surface World / Gryphin? / Rome, Persepolis? /
Antirius,
> > Murharxarm, Dendara
>
> Yes
> >
> > Would teach me the scale of each tripolises?
>
> Hope this helped.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #579