Re: Heler's People

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:50:22 +0200

David :

> > Well, Heler's people weren't completely wiped out IMO. The Harandings of
> > Maniria and some of the Umathelans are actually Helerings AFAIK, not that
> > this is explicitely mentioned anywhere.

The Harandings & Manirians have been dealt with elsewhere, somewhat tediously : the most important statement of mine is that the Helerings haven't been completely wiped out. It has since been established that the coastal and some riverine Manirian clans are "Helerings". It is very likely that an analogous (albeit wildly variant) situation exists in Umathela : I believe however that the Umathelan Helerings are probably hill- and mountain- dwellers. Maniria is the only lowland place where Heler is important.

> > There are I believe a few other
> > scattered groups, or at least there can be such groups IYG.
>
> It's unlikely that any of the Umathelans are truly Helerings, since
> there were no humans there during the Dawn Age. (There were some form
> of Helerings there in mythic times.)

Likely or not, it's Greg's call. I believe, from the sources, that there are Umathelan Helerings. There were certainly such in mythic times.

I dunno : ask Greg !!

> Or do you mean that colonists of Helering descent were the ones who
> thrived the best there? That's a very plausible idea.

No, I don't think that they would thrive the best : it's Harrek who does that !!

I'm just saying that they thrived well enough. FWIW the Umathelan Helerings would probably be very different to the Manirian ones, but recognisably the same bzsic people (especially to God Learners), but OTOH *very* deeply involved in local Umathelan matters and/or myths and/or theoeroticism and/or Survival Myths.

Julian Lord