HQ Question

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:49:26 +0100 (BST)

Simon Phipp:
> Assuming that these encounters are on the/a HeroPlane, my question is:
> How can the Brithini/Hrestoli HeroQuests interact with the Humakti/
> Zorak Zorani HeroQuests?

I think you've largely answered your own question: they can interact _because_ they take place in the/a HeroPlane. The HP(s) is/are inherently mixed, as specifically opposed to the "pure" Other Worlds (where it's beginning to seem increasingly unlikely you ever "do" anything as such, other than hang around with your favourite god for a bit, and then exit into a HP to do the real stuff). Those particular quests must all go to "the same" (part of) the HeroPlane(s).

> I assume that the Brithini and Hrestoli Other Sides are different, or
> do they simply connect to different Nodes? When Malkioni HeroQuest,
> do they cross over from one of their Nodes to a HeroPlane and HeroQuest
> in that HeroPlane? If so, can they interact with Theistic HeroQuests?

I think so, yes, if they can "be seen to be" in the same "age" of myth, the same "place", etc. Establishing such things may itself be part of the HQ. (Whose myth or identification is "the more correct".)

> Also, how do Malkioni with cross-over myths interact with the HeroQuestors
> from those cross-over myths? An example would be when Zzabur showed Aldrya
> how to defeat the Gorp that plagued her. If a Malkioni performed this
> Quest, would he actually interact with Aldryami HeroQuestors or would he
> interact with some other Malkioni HeroQuestor?

Depends partly on the "scale" of the HQ, I think. If it's by intent a "deep" HQ, intended to have a profound, wide-ranging effect, or if by accident it just happens to spill out more widely in effect, then Aldryami would be drawn in. (Like the SLBP that goes "wrong" for Kallyr.) A "small" HQ might just try and force local opposition in that role.

> Is it the case that these are not actually cross-over myths but similar
> myths? In this case, Zzabur would not have helped Aldrya but the Green
> Lady. If this is so, do we have to rewrite all the Malkioni Myths to
> reflect this?

I think in many cases yes, the cross-over is by no means explicit (though after Arkat, and moreso after the GLers, they may have _become_ moreso).

> If some of the terminology here is incorrect, I apologise, but I do
> not understand how the different types of Plane interact in HeroWars.

Join the club!