Yggites

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:31:41 +1200

Guy Hoyle:

>I'm away from my resources for a bit and I can't quite recall which gods
>are worshipped on the Ygg's Isles besides Ygg. Is their culture derived
>from Orlanthi culture, or am I thinking that just because both are
>reminiscent of Vikings?

The Yggites are derived from the Vadrudi, rather than the Orlanthi. They are related to the Hrimthuri Frost Giants (AR p153). Ygg's Father, Valind, would also be worshipped. Another possibility might be Kunkorn, the God of the Woolly Rhinos, (on the basis of the Anaxial's Roster myth p72 which has Vadrus responsible for his creation) might once have been worshipped but no longer since the Yggites have been forced offshore (Glorantha: Intro p34). They are known to disdain Orlanth (Glorantha: Intro p82) for that god was forced on them by the God-Learners. Nothing else is published about their religion.

I suppose one can always go the Viking Parallel and divide their pantheon into two, a Winter Tribe full of violent storm gods such as Ygg, Valind and a much weaker Summer Tribe with gods like Malkion, Aldrya and Orlanth. As members of the Winter Tribe, it is the divine right of the Yggites to push around Summer Tribe worshippers.

Since their leading god (Vadrus) is dead and based on the evidence of the Hrimthuri (who have innate magical powers rather than magic from their god), I like to think that the primary Yggite attitude towards their gods is boast before them. They will still make sacrifices to Ygg and other fearsome gods but their best magic is something they have acquired rather than a gift from their god. While the Yggites still have devotees, most Yggites scorn them as slaves of their God.

--Peter Metcalfe