Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #122 - 12 msgs

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:12:15 +0100

TI:

> What is Malkioni? Since I read the debate about the definition of Malkioni
> between Martin and Peter while they touched carmanians in HW mailing list
> post log. (IMHO, they are called Malkioni by Pagans, and non-Malkioni by
> Pagans) I asked myself this definition.
>
> a) Sorcerers / Wizards using Intellect (Term? of RM) and Logic to material
> world.
> (But Mostali....)
> b) Believe Malkion. (Yes, our enemies actually mistook Devil to the Supreme
> God.)

Technically, anybody who follows Malkion's teaching is Malkioni. This is not say that all Malkioni will agree that all other Malkioni are deserving of the term, of course! In practice, it's at least as vague as the term 'Orlanthi' incorporating Heortlings, Esrolians and many others besides.

> c) Don't believe False God(s) (Yes, Saints are not False Gods, our ancestors
> went Solace after Death though we cannot contact them.)
> d) Draw Power from Sorcerer Plane (Adept Plane and Saint Plane. Not
> Underworld!)

Certainly mainstream Malkioni do all four of these things. Venerational worship is also a key feature. But there are some 'Malkioni' (that is, people who claim to follow Malkion's teaching) who don't have a problem with False Gods - the waertagi spring to mind. Obviously, Hrestoli and Rokari would never admit that these people are really Malkioni...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic