Mermen are on fire!

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:37:10 -0700

Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since in Glorantha fire is not a product of oxydation,
> like in RW, the more is possible that mermen know a
> number of ways to handle submarine "fire", maybe using
> magic. But as Greg has stated the difference between
> real fire and magical fire in Glorantha is related to
> its ignition and not to its effects/appearance.
>
> So, in the end, probably mermen _know, use and
> produce_ fire!!

Just talking off the top of my head here... On the Elemental Wheel, water is stronger than fire. (Which is why, for example, if you pour a cupful of water on a cupful of fire, the water wins.)

Ordinarily, this would mean there isn't any fire in the watery areas--the water drove out the fire, just as fire drives out darkness.

But... mythically, I'd think another possible result would be water *enslaving* fire. There might well be mercults which have conquered some fire god/spirit and bound him to service. This could be volcanic vents, or actual fire like we're used to...

Just my random thoughts.