Resurrection quest?

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_admin.stedwards.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:43:59 -0500

Jane Williams asks:

>Over in a RQ3 game, my Yelornan has just been killed, and is likely to be
>the subject of a resurrection attempt. We'd like this to involve more than
>just "priestess casts 3-point spell, you're back."
>
>I've found what TR has to say about Relife Sickness. I've found that we
>have a week while my PC's spirit hangs around the Halls of Silence. What I
>can't find is much about what a Resurrection ritual should involve. I have
>vague memories that it's a sort of mini-LBQ, and that a Trickster is
>required, but can't find references.
>
>Anyone got any pointers for me?

        OK, this isn't really a reference, but an idea.

        We know that Havan Vor judges the dead (TR p.87). Judgement, for Heortlings, means plenty of room for legal trickery, quibbling, gathering jurors, swaying the court, etc. So, one option would be to perform a ritual with two parts:

        First, in the Inner World, the dead person must be healed and/or cured of whatever killed her. Then a "life" is provided for the dead -- this could be an animal sacrifice or donation of life force from the healer, the dead person's friends, the dead person's god, or some other source. The point is that the dead person has nothing that would kill them and they have a "life."

        Second, the healer performs a heroquest and goes to the Hall of Havan Vor where the judgement of the dead is taking place. On the way to the H of HV, the healer might visit various gods, daimones, and spirits and ask them to be jurors or lend other aid. (In Heortling law, the decision often goes to the side who can muster the most supporters.) In front of HV, the healer makes the claim that the court has no jurisdiction over the dead person because she isn't dead -- she has a life and no reason to die. Various gods, spirits, and powers can be called on to attest that this is true. If the healer argues well enough and has made the right preperations, the dead person must be released and, therefore, be alive again.

        Obviously, a sympathetic and brave Lhankor Knowing or Andrin/Jarani devotee would be helpful, but there may be some Chalana Arroy worshippers who specialize in the Laws of the Dead. Additionally, the heroquesters may have had to make oaths or sacrifices to get aid. The revived person probably has significant ritual debts (or physical debts to the healer who incurred the ritual debts).

Peter Larsen